Thursday, July 12, 2012

Am I the last virgin?


"Unlike Webster's Ninth New Collection Dictionary, which says a virgin is "free of impurity or stain; chaste; modest; unsilled," The Great Cosmic Mother (Harper & Row Publishers, 1987)by Monica Soj?? and Barbara Mor defines a virgin as a woman who is "one in-herself; not belonging to a man." In the beginning, virginity had more to with sexual chasity. The word was derived from a Latin root meaning strength, force, skill. And I like that. The Great Cosmic Mother as a woman is my ideal:  a woman with her tightly coiled 'fro and taut but not waifish body, in the tropical isles, of course, giving and receiving pleasure physically, handling her business and not being owned by a soul. Even if it means I'm the last one left, I hope to remain a virgin all my life." 

- Tara Roberts

Essence(June 1994) 
Pg. 118


I found this article a long time ago and thought I should share it with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment