Sunday, September 27, 2009

Virgin; not owned.

"Unlike Webster's Ninth New Collection Dictionary, which says a virgin is "free of impurity or stain; chaste; modest; unsoiled," The Great Cosmic Mother (Harper & Row Publishers, 1987) by Monica Soj and Barbara Mor defines a virgin as a woman who is "one in-herself; not belonging to a man." In the beginning, virginity had more to with sexual chastity. The word was derived from a Latin root meaning strength, force, skill. And I like that. The Great Cosmic Mother as a woman is my ideal: a woman with her tightly coiled 'fro and taut but not waifish body, in the tropical isles, of course, giving and receiving pleasure physically, handling her business and not being owned by a soul. Even if it means I'm the last one left, I hope to remain a virgin all my life."
- Tara Roberts
Essence (June 1994), Pg. 118

This is an article I discovered some years ago. Of course, there is more to it, but that is what really stood out to me. I had never heard of the definition of “virgin” as she mentioned until I read this piece.
I happen to be a virgin under both circumstances…by choice. I co-sign her statement “Even if it means I'm the last one left, I hope to remain a virgin all my life."
With that being said I don’t hope to stay single my whole life. You can be in a relationship, and not be owned. If I happen to get “involved” I will look upon it as me being a piece of him instead of an item of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment